VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT # Ouaga-2021-038
The U.S. Mission in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Electrician in the General Services Office.
Opening Date :
October 27, 2021
Closing Date : November 10, 2021
Open to : All Interested Applicants/All Sources
Work Schedule : Full-time (40 hours/week)
SALARY : *Ordinarily Resident (OR) : CFA 8,824,957 p.a. (Starting Salary)
(Position Grade : FSN-06)
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS (See Appendix for definition) MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION :
The incumbent reports directly to the Supervisory Building Engineer in the Facility Management Office. The position holder is employed as an Electrical Technician to accomplish skilled maintenance and repair work at the journeyman electrician level, to International Building Code (IBC) standards, throughout all facilities to include office buildings, grounds, out buildings, ancillary structures, and residential owned/leased properties.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED :
1. EDUCATION : Completion of secondary school (BAC) is required and/or completion of vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level technicians with specialization in the electrical field is required. The incumbent will have completed courses of study covering the principles of AC and DC circuitry, power distribution, control wiring, circuit ampacity and safe wiring practices for office and residential buildings, use of diagnostic equipment and electrical meters, and commercial wiring standards including power generation and distribution.
2. EXPERIENCE : A minimum of three (3) years’ experience journey-level experience in the repair and maintenance of electrical equipment and systems, power generation and electrical distribution systems, grounding, and control circuitry. This experience should also include a minimum of two (2) years work experience on similar sized equipment configurations and systems with an increased level of complex work requirements.
Use and implementation of IBC standards, building, electrical, mechanical, and fire and life safety codes in the execution of projects.
3. LANGUAGE : English – (Limited Knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading in English is required in order understand verbal requests, read some technical material, and prepare simple reports. French – (Good Knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required. These may be tested.
4. SKILLS AND ABILITIES : The incumbent shall have superior skills and abilities in the following areas : diagnosing and repairing electrical power generating and distribution systems, lighting and power branch circuit systems and components, and taking equipment readings with various meters. Must be skilled and comfortable using hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools to determine appropriate repairs. Must be able to use tools of the trade in order to install, troubleshoot and repair building electrical systems, and work with the mechanical technicians when repairs or replacement of control circuits, wiring, and associated devices needs to be performed. Must have substantial skill in comprehending engineering reports, specifications, and related materials in English.
Must have an analytical mind to take cause and affect problems and diagnose the root cause creating the deficiency in the operating system or equipment. Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs ; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, heights, and temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments ; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors, the supervising engineer, the FM, and upper management providing pertinent information and technical jargon and translating it into laymen terminology. A driver’s license is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks. Must be organized. These may be tested.
5. JOB KNOWLEDGE : The incumbent must know how to install circuits and electrical apparatuses, diagnose electrical problems in circuitry, make repairs that meet or exceed the standards of the IBC, and what constitutes proper preventive maintenance. Must know how to use diagnostic equipment and be able to analyze readings to determine what and where the electrical problem is located. Must know how to use safety equipment when working near energized equipment and parts.
Must know how to read and interpret construction and as-built drawings, schematics, manufacturers shop drawings, and performance curve charts and graphs. Must have a thorough knowledge of ohms law and how to apply its formulas to circuit analysis. Must have a very good technical understanding of major building electrical systems, switchgear, , lighting and power outlets, equipment, and control wiring. Knowledge of reading technical documents, interpreting maintenance plans and technical literature is required and highly emphasized. General computer literacy is required in multiple applications (MS Office).
HOW TO APPLY : Applicants must complete the following application process to be considered :
• Create an account on the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA) Website at
• Choose Announcement Number Ouaga-2021-038 Electrician and complete the online application.
• Upload any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. Copies of Attestations/Certificates of Work, degrees certificates, wok permits & SF 50 if applicable) into the Electronic Recruitment Application system. click on the "Apply to This Vacancy" to submit your application.
• For more information on how to apply, visit the Mission internet site : https://bf.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
Required Documents :
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application :
• Residency and/or Work Permit (If applicable)
• Completion of secondary school is required and/or completion of vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level technicians with specialization in the electrical field is required. The incumbent will have completed courses of study covering the principles of AC and DC circuitry, power distribution, control wiring, circuit ampacity and safe wiring practices for office and residential buildings, use of diagnostic equipment and electrical meters, and commercial wiring standards including power generation and distribution.
• Driver’s license
• DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
• Copies of Relevant Work Attestations/Certificates
What to Expect Next :
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via telephone calls and email.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION : The complete position description listing all the duties and responsibilities may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office at [email protected]
• All Applications must be made in English.
• All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
• All applications must be for an open/advertised position.
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY : The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.