VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT # 2021-020 R1
HEATING, VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING (HVAC) / HVAC CONTROLS TECHNICIAN
The U.S. Mission in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Mechanic / HVAC Controls Technician in the Facility Maintenance Section.
Opening Date :
October 27, 2021
Closing Date : November 10, 2021
Open to : All interested candidates/ All sources
Work Schedule : Full-time (40 hours/week)
SALARY : *Ordinarily Resident (OR) : CFA 9,469,395 p.a. (Starting Salary)
(Position Grade : FSN-07)
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION :
The incumbent reports to the Building Engineer Supervisor. The incumbent is employed as a journeyman level Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Controls Technician to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work throughout the New Embassy Compound (NEC) on critical and non-critical electrical components within the functional/office buildings, on-compound ancillary support and residential buildings, above and below ground infrastructures, recreational facilities, and other owned/leased properties.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED :
EDUCATION : Completion of secondary school required. Successful completion of specialized vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level HVAC mechanical technicians and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required. A portion of the training must be in HVAC Controls and the interfacing with Building Automated Systems Technology.
1. EXPERIENCE : A minimum of three (3) years’ experience at the journey-level in the installation, repair, and maintenance of commercial HVAC and/or other mechanical system digital building controls with interfacing to the building automation systems. Work experience must show a progression of increased responsibility, and the ability to repair complex equipment, components, and systems.
2. LANGUAGE : English - (Good working knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading is required. To translate local technical information, contract documents, and correspondences from the local language into English for the Supervising Building Engineer and the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager. French - (Good working knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading is required. To communicate with local contractors and other LE Staff. Must have (Good working knowledge) verbal and written skills using the local language to communicate with local. This may be tested
3. SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
The incumbent must be able to read and interpret mechanical layout drawings, electrical drawings, riser diagrams, wiring schematics, various equipment schedules, operations and maintenance manuals, as-built drawings, and other construction documents.
The incumbent shall have skills and abilities in the following areas : testing mechanical components and taking equipment readings with various meters, hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools to determine the root cause of a problem, and the appropriate repairs. Must be able to use tools of the trade to install, troubleshoot, and repair the components associated with the HVAC mechanical controls and their interface devices with the building automation systems.
Additional skills include working with the building automation systems, emergency power sources including UPS’s and standby generator ; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, color codes and odors in the operation of equipment to troubleshoot for repairs. Must have substantial skill in comprehending engineering reports, specifications, and related materials in English.
Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs ; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, working on ladders at various heights, and working in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors, to complete work assignments ; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors, and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information. Must be computer literate, able to use the Microsoft Office Suite software including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point ; able to draft reports and create spreadsheets, and able to write e-mails and research information on the Internet. A valid driver’s license is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks. Must be organized. This may be tested.
JOB KNOWLEDGE : The incumbent is required to know electrical theory, ohms law, circuit wiring, the laws of thermodynamics and their application to HVAC system design, installation, repair, and operations and maintenance. The incumbent must have detailed technical knowledge of HVAC control systems and basic knowledge of how control systems interface with the other operating systems including the building automation system. His/her knowledge base must be broad, encompassing many different makes and models, able to perform the required maintenance on each system. Must have a very good technical understanding of major building electrical/mechanical systems and equipment. Knowledge of International Building Code standards including electrical and mechanical requirements, and fire and life safety codes is required.
HOW TO APPLY : Applicants must complete the following application process to be considered :
• To apply, click on the "Apply to This Vacancy" tab at the top of the announcement, create an account, Select the Announcement Number Ouaga-2021-020 R1 Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Mechanic / HVAC Controls Technician and Complete the online application. Upload any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g., cover letter, degrees certificates, wok permits & SF 50 if applicable) into the Electronic Recruitment Application system.
Required Documents : Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application :
• Completion of secondary school required. Successful completion of specialized vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level HVAC mechanical technicians and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required. A portion of the training must be in HVAC Controls and the interfacing with Building Automated Systems Technology.
• Residency and/or Work Permit (If applicable)
• DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
• Relevant Work attestations and Certificates.
What to Expect Next : Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via telephone calls and email.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION : The complete position description listing all the duties and responsibilities may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office at [email protected]
• All applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
• All applications must be for an open/advertised position.
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY : The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.